15 October, 2018 at 08.30 – 16.30
Aalto University School of Business (main building)
Runeberginkatu 14-16, 00100 Helsinki, Finland
Finnish Chinese Business Council, Aalto University School of Business, Sino-Talent Finland Ry and China Tekway Oy.
The 2nd Finland-China Business and Investment Summit was held by the Finnish Chinese Business Council, Aalto University School of Business, Sino-Talents Finland Association and China Tekway Oy LTD. The event was supported by the members of Parliament of Finland, Chinese Embassy in Finland, Team Finland, Ministry of Education and Culture, Business Finland, the City of Helsinki, the Federation of Finnish Entrepreneurs, etc. The Summit was held at Finnish famous Aalto University School of Business.
Since the successful launch of the first Finland-China Business Summit in 2017 as one of the official celebration events of 100 years Finland Independence since 1907, the Finnish-Chinese government and corporate companies have further strengthened their willingness and needs. Finnish President Mr Sauli Niinistö welcomed Chinese President Xi Jinping in April to actively expand the new comprehensive partnership between Finland and China. To follow the guidance of Finnish governmental business and economic strategies, Finland-China Business Summit has successfully become an important platform for Finnish-Chinese economic and trade cooperation.
The summit was opened by a beautiful string duo from the famous Sibelius Academy Finland. Representatives from different region in Finland such as Helsinki, Turku, Tampere, Lahti, Kemi, Vaasa, Oulu, Lappeenranta and other cities from China such as Beijing, Shanghai, Changchun, Henan, Zhejiang, etc. More than 280 governmental and corporate guests attended the summit on Monday 15th. The conference was hosted by Dr. Yang Erlin, President of the Finnish Chinese Business Council and CEO of China Tekway Oy LTD.
Mr. Mika Niikko, Member of the Finnish Parliament and Chairman of the China Friendship Society of the Parliament of Finland, attended the summit and delivered an opening speech.
Dr. Ingmar Björkman, Dean of Aalto University School of Business, one of the organizers of the Summit, delivered a congratulatory message to the success of the summit and introduced the close cooperation between Aalto University and the famous universities in China.
Mr. Sun Liwei, Commercial Counselor at Chinese Embassy in Finland, gave a keynote speech on promoting and strengthening the good economic and trade cooperation between China and Finland. Counselor Sun Liwei highly praised the rapid development of business and trade relations in recent years, especially the rapid growth of companies that have invested in China from Finland. Counselor Sun Liwei also introduced the first China International Import Expo to be held in Shanghai and welcomed Finnish companies to participate actively through the Finnish Pavilion.
Ms. Ma Jinzhi, Deputy Director General of China Changchun Arbitration Committee, introduced the Chinese arbitration system and the arbitration in Changchun. In her keynote speech address that Arbitration was established in 1996. After more than 20 years of development, it has become the largest arbitration institution in Northeast China. The number of cases accepted, the number of targets and supporting facilities are among the highest in the country. In the first half of this year, Changchun Arbitration established China’s first multi-functional artificial intelligence arbitrary tribunal, and an online legal service platform covering more than 200,000 companies and more than 1,000 law firms. It also established 511 arbitrators and legal experts. A detailed electronic archive was to build the largest information base for arbitration experts in Northeast Asia. Deputy Director Ma Jinzhi warmly welcomes Finnish companies to join force / participate actively in Changchun.
Mr. Juha Markkanen, Trade Ambassador, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, gave a keynote speech on how the Finnish government strongly supports Finnish companies to explore the Chinese market. He highlighted the operational structure of the Business Finland and Team Finland and Visit Finland and cooperation with China.
Ms. Tiina Vihma-Purovaara, Senior Ministerial Adviser, Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland, gave a keynote speech on strengthening the cooperation between Finland and China. She particularly emphasized that the Finnish government attaches great importance to the cultivation and development of the innovation environment and strives to make Finland the most attractive and competitive country in R&D and innovation in the world by 2030.
Kirsi Vaha-Pietila, Senior Adviser, Business Finland, introduced the entrepreneurial visa support program of the Finnish government to encourage Chinese technology talents to come to Finland for entrepreneurship and investment. The plan ensures that Chinese entrepreneurs can have a residence permit for two years of entrepreneurship and a two-year extension after the start-up period.
Dr. Carl Fey, a professor at the Aalto University Business School and the Chinese University of Hong Kong, gave a keynote speech on how to become a successful business leader in China.
Professor Fey then hosted the Summit of Corporate panelist guests to discuss the business opportunities of Finnish companies in China and the problems and challenges encountered in the development of their business in China. The panelists provided in-depth insight, as well as, actionable and practical tools of business models and strategies that have worked based on their experiences and findings.
The guests who participated in the dialogue includes Mr. Pasi Pekkola, Former General Manager of Oilon China, consultant and author; Mr. Peter Vesterbacka, one of Finland’s leading entrepreneurs and business figures actively working with China and former Chief Marketing Officer for Rovio Entertainment; Mr. Mika Aarnikka, Country Manager of Huawei Finland; Mr. Mikael Leinonen, CEO and Co-founder of Chinese-Finnish mobile game publisher MyGamez Ltd.; Mr. Chen Yang, Chairman of China Association for Non-profit Organization Hongyi Charity Committee; Mr. Sun Wansong, Executive Chairman and Secretary General of International Universities Innovation Alliance.
At the end of the summit, the Finland China Development and Exchange Center and the Changchun Arbitration Committee, Finland Noveteks oy, and Beijing Tianzuo Innovation Technology Incubator Co. Ltd., and Shanghai Haibu Enterprise Management Consulting Co., Ltd. on arbitration training, business incubation, and camp Cooperation agreements were signed in areas such as education.
In the afternoon of the 15th, three sub-forums and the Finland-China Business and Investment Match-making Meeting were held in different rooms. They were:
1. Education, Talent, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Sports and Tourism Forum hosted by Dr. Maaret Viskari, Director, Global Education – HAMK (Hämeenlinna University of Applied Sciences.
2. Environmental Technology, Energy and Cleantech Forum hosted by Ms. Helena Saren, Program Director for Energy Growth Program, Business Finland.
3. IT, AI, Digitalization, Life Sciences, Health, Food Industry and New Agriculture Forum hosted by Dr. Timo Kiviaho, Vice President of China Tekway Oy Ltd.
Participants made full use of the Finland-China Business and Investment Summit Forum to connect, learn and exchange ideas and opportunities.
On 16th, the conference arranged three visits for domestic delegates:
1. Environmental technology and cleantech field trip in Helsinki, Finland
2. IT, Internet of Things and digitalisation field trip in Salo city, Finland
3. Education, sports and tourism field trip in Lahti city, Finland
The summit forum activities received positive response and sponsorship support from the Finnish government and companies, which fully reflected the good momentum of Finnish-Chinese Business, trade, technology and innovation exchanges and cooperation. Everyone hopes that such summit forum activities will bring forth even more success.
China’s belt and road initiative presents increased opportunities for Chinese firms to do business in Finland and Finnish firms to do business in China–the world’s second largest economy and a rapidly growing market. Indeed as the closest point in Europe to China, with direct flights to six and soon seven cities in China, and with complementary skills, Finland is an ideal place for Chinese firms to start their business in Europe. The Second Finland-China Business and Investment Forum will be held to help you grasp these opportunities.
Based on the success of last year, the Finnish Chinese Business Council, China Tekway Oy and Aalto University School of Business will organize this year’s event with support of the Parliament of Finland, Chinese Embassy to Finland, Business Finland, the Federation of Finnish Enterprises and City of Helsinki. More than 80 Chinese companies and investors and many leading executives of Finnish companies and enterprises are expected to attend the event which will include a business forum and opportunities to take part in industry-focused face-to-face match-making to explore opportunities for concrete business co-operation.
The summit will be held in the morning of 15th of October at the Aalto University School of Business. Match-making forums for companies will be arranged at the premises in the afternoon. The forums will focus on different industries:
1. Education, Talents, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Sport and Tourism
2. Environmental Technologies, Energy and Cleantech
3. IT, IoT, AI, Digitalisation, Life sciences, Health, Food Industry and New Agriculture
On the 16th of October China Tekway will organize opportunities for interested Chinese delegations to visit several cities in Finland and leading local companies there.
List of companies and delegations from China
- Huawei group
- Shenzhen Growth Online Culture Communication Co., Ltd.
- Beijing Investment Consulting Group
- China Energy Conservation and Environmental Protection Group
- Shanghai Xuhui Environmental Protection Center (Shanghai)
- Chongqing Energy Research Association
- Harbin Federation of Industry and Commerce
- Eternal Star Ice & Snow Technology LTD
- Xiangchenhui Education Technology Co. LTD.
- Tianjin Educational Investment Co. LTD
- School of Education Sciences of Guizhou Education University
- Nanomaterials Simulation and Calculation of Guizhou Education University
- School of Chemistry & Life Sciences of Guizhou Education University
- School of Geograpghy & Tourism of Guizhou Education University
- School of Physics & Electronics of Guizhou Education University
- Department of Scientific Research of Guizhou Education University
- School of Foreign Languages of Guizhou Education University
- Planning and Design Institute of Tianjin University
Other (multiple groupings)
- Beijing Zhongguancun Group
- Shanghai SME Development and Service Center
- Shanghai Municipal Commission of Economy and Informatization (Shanghai)
- Shanghai Coordination Office for SME (Shanghai)
- Shanghai SME Listing Promotion Center (Shanghai)
- Shanghai Social Construction Research Institute (Shanghai)
- Zhongwei Survey Planning IT Co. LTD. (Henan Province)
- Jilin Provincial International Arbitration Center
- Shenzhen Political and Legal Committee
- Zhejiang Provincial International Economic Exchanges Association
- China NGO Promotion